Based in Minneapolis, MN | Omaha, NE | Lincoln, NE
March 20, 2015
PC / Mac / Linux
In her mid-20's, Kelly has been forced to move back to Nebraska. Back to that flat expanse, that seemingly endless sea of rustling cornstalks peppered by rusty silos and rustier towns. A typically intense Midwestern storm is approaching while Kelly is out; she needs to get home. Three Fourths Home is a visual short story in which players assume the role of Kelly during her drive through the storm. In the 20 miles between her grandparents' crumbling barn and her parents' home, she receives a phone call from her mother. While driving through a stylized representation of rural Nebraska, players must navigate an extended conversation between Kelly and her parents and younger brother. Three Fourths Home takes a look into a specific moment of these characters' lives and their relationships with one another. The narrative touches on a variety of issues affecting Kelly and her family, including disability, adulthood, and familial obligation.
Following its original release on Itch.io and Humble, Three Fourths Home is coming to Steam as Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition. Featuring a new edit of the main story, a new epilogue, and several extra features, Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition serves as an expanded version of the acclaimed initial release. Three Fourths Home began development during a turbulent period in writer/designer Zach Sanford's life, during which he was forced to move back to Nebraska. The narrative's specifics are fictional, though reflect aspects of both personal experience and of the experiences of friends and family. Following in a sort of progression of themes from previous games [out] and Letters to Babylon, Three Fourths Home was written to examine a family whose foundations are crumbling, crippled by trauma both evident and hidden. The narrative is constrained to a single, occasionally mundane conversation that illustrates a family in turmoil, set against a tumultuous landscape.
- A character-focused visual short story exploring family, adulthood, and the hardships of impoverished small-town living
- Stylized grayscale visuals with a unique setting
- A narrative exploring family, disability, nostalgia, hardship, and a host of other subjects inherent to small-town living
- Nearly 800 unique dialogue choices
- Soundtrack by Neutrino Effect
- NEW TO THE EXTENDED EDITION:
- A new edit of the main game, in which an important story changes based on the way players navigate the conversation
- A 20-30 minute epilogue set in Minnesota
- A music player featuring clean versions of the soundtrack by Neutrino Effect
- 4 new stories written by Ben
- A “photo viewer” tied to the events of the epilogue
- Steam achievements/trading cards
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF Nominee for Excellence in Narrative" 2015
- "Official Selection, WordPlay Festival" 2014
- "Best Short Experience" Gamerscape, 2014
- "Games of 2014" The Skinny, 2014
- "Hi Mum, No, I'm Driving, Okay, Fine: Three Fourths Home"
- Alice O'Connor, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "The Game That Made Me Realize I've Let Down My Family"
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "Three Fourths Home is all about driving, family bonds"
- Danielle Riendeau, Polygon
- "Three Fourths Home Drives Us Into the Heart of the Storm"
- Chris Priestman, Kill Screen
- "Three Fourths Home Review: It's Genre's Game of the Year"
- Angelina Bonilla, Gameskinny
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Greenlight page for Three Fourths Home steamcommunity.com.
[bracket]games is a pseudonym for writer and designer Zach Sanford and composer Neutrino Effect. They are focused on creating single-player games with meaningful personal narratives.
More information on [bracket]games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition Credits
Writer, Designer, Artist, Programmer